Friday, May 16, 2008

Underrated Friday: Computer stuff

In my line of work, I get to talk to a LOT of people. And most of them are self-admitted computer dummies. So my Underrated topic for today is Basic Kindergarten-style Computer Knowledge.

It's really frustrating when you ask someone to right-click and they left click. How can these people get away with owning a computer, but not knowing even the most basic knowledge? Knowledge like the difference between left and right mouse buttons. Like knowing that the Enter key is ON THE KEYBOARD.

Is it too much to ask that these people take some type of computers for dummies class? They really need to know that Yes, they can turn on the computer while they are on the phone!! "My computer's slow cuz I got dialup" That has nothing to do with it!!!!!!!

The other underrated computer item is (and I never thought I'd say this) the Macintosh OS. I would say there is a very small percentage of Mac calls that require troubleshooting. I might actually convert...

8 comments:

h said...

You hit the nail on the head. LEARN THE BASICS people! Especially if you use a PC and not a Mac.

Happy Over-Under Friday!

Aunty Belle said...

Chuckle, I used to be one thme dummies, but necessity straightend poor ole' Aunty right out!

Happy Friday, Kiki!

Kiki said...

Troll - I was worried that this was going to be a lame subject, but it's just irks me to no end!

Aunty - at least you took the time to learn, and that's all we youngin's can ask for!

Karen said...

I'm a bit of a dumb ass when I run into trouble and I have to ring for help. I usually make my hubby do it because I get all flustered when they get frustrated with me because I don't understand computer speak. I do however know my left from my right so I guess that's a blessing.

Happy Over/Under Friday Kiki.

Anonymous said...

My ex actually called me at work to ask me where the 'any' key was....swear to god...sigh...Happy Over/under!

AR's Boyfriend said...

Some people just do not know and will not know. Thats why my mom has me fix her computer for her haha. Mac is a good OS. I just do not prefer them.

Kiki said...

Gypsy - If you ever want to learn computer speak just give me a buzz!


Kate - that is too funny!!


ARBF - that's so sweet of you to fix her computer! Maybe it's just me, but when I am working on something I don't know about, I try to learn at least a little bit about it.

Brian said...

Oi-Vey!
I work in IT so have heard every tragi-comedy helpdesk story going. I do not blame the users so much as the managers. The basics are a training issue. But they are too short sighted to realise sending them to a week of basic clasess saves lost productivity in helpdesk calls.
I don't understand why they are hired anyway. You wouldn't give a salesman a company car if they didn't have a drivers license and knows how to fill gas and change oil. So why do they hire people when they don't know to use the tools they are given?
Someone stop the madness!

AmazingCounters.com Curious Visitors