Monday, July 30, 2007

My Girl Jessie

Looking at these pictures has made me think about how long she has been with my family. 7 years! She was 7 when we brought her home.

I remember telling M that I would "just go look at the dog. I'm not promising that we can get one." LOL So much for that! One look and I was hooked. I went with my mother to a private kennel run by one of her friends. They were going to put her down because they couldn't sell her. Her racing name was Porker's Porkette. What a crappy name.

The owner of the kennel renamed her Spaz, because she would act all spastic whenever a person came around. I got to see her sire, too. What a beautiful dog he was! The most beautiful shade of burgundy. I don't know much about pedigree dogs and what their colors are called. Shortly after we brought Jessie home, someone asked if she was a blue brindle. I said "No, she's grey and tan." DUH.

Anyway, I went back a second time to see her. But I was not alone. M and the kiddles came along. Another one hooked at first site. Not only that, but we brought a leash just to see how she would react to it. She didn't mind. She saw the kids and strained at the leash to go play with them.

Let me tell you, it is a wonderful thing to witness the pure joy she got from racing around the yard. She had to stop because she had a few accidents where she couldnt stop and we had to rush her to the vet because she cut herself on something.

And now, it breaks my heart to see her struggle to get up from laying down. Or climb the stairs. Or walk around the yard. I don't have the money right now to take her to the vet, otherwise we would have already gone.

I love that hard-headed, sweet, lovable dog.

No comments:

AmazingCounters.com Curious Visitors